Creative Thinking Ideas
Have your students try each creative thinking strategy as you present it.
Present sentence starters for making comparisons:
- My best friend is like . . .
- My neighborhood is like . . .
- Owning a pet is like . . .
Ask "What If" Questions
Have partners use "what if" questions to spark their creativity:
- Write a "what if" question on a piece of paper. Then trade the paper with a partner, who should write as many answers as possible. Switch papers back and discuss.
- Choose one "what if" answer from your partner and draw a picture to represent it.
Or have students work by themselves to answer "what if" questions.
Ask students to imagine what they want to be when they grow up. Have them pretend they are doing their dream job. Then instruct them to write a quick story about something amazing that happens on the job.