Daily Lesson Planning
- Look at "Writers share to explain and entertain." Read the title and point out the author’s name on Kayla’s book. Discuss what may be in the book, who Kayla is sharing with, how her audience is reacting, or what the bird is saying.
- Implement “Writers share to explain and entertain” (BB 12). If you wish, invite children to draw picture boxes to match the parts of this story.
- Do an interactive writing of a possible story for Kayla’s book. Return to the piece after a few days and ask children to add ideas to improve the story.
Note: Use this revisiting strategy to model an early form of revising.
Choose from the following:
- Implement “Writers share made-up stories” (BB 13) and “Writers share weather stories” (BB 14).
- Have children decorate blank folders and put their names on them. Explain that they will keep their daily, ongoing writing activities in these folders. (Show children where to store their folders.)
- Encourage small groups of children to share their work with each other as they go through the writing process. Try "A Place I Would Like to See" for this activity. Before they begin writing, they can help each other decide on a topic; during writing, they can help each other explore words and ideas; and after writing, they can share their finished work with each other.
- Create a sign-up sheet for children who wish to share their writing with the class. At different times of the day, stop and ask these volunteers to share their writing. (Keep these sharing sessions informal.)
- Have children decorate or add words to notes that you send home.
- After modeling a memo, ask children to write memos to you, themselves, or someone at home. Have copies of “Memo 1” and “Memo 2” available for the children to use throughout the year.
- Make class books to include the work of several individuals, the whole group, or one individual (to be shared with the whole group). Begin with a simple form by stapling pages between two pieces of colored paper.
- Choose other book binding ideas from the suggestions below.