Advertising a Product helps your students develop a persuasive essay that shows the value of a specific good or service, using strategies to convince readers. Instructions, activities, examples, interactives, and downloads help students gain new writing strategies and skills. You can also present this unit right from your interactive whiteboard.
First students think about favorite products and ways they could advertise them, creating quick ad ideas. They trade their ads with partners to discover what was most (and least) persuasive in them. Then students read and respond to a sample poster and essay that advertise a product. Afterward, students begin work on their own advertisement essays:
- Prewriting activities help students brainstorm products that they would like to promote, gather reasons for and against the product, research details, and write an opinion statement for their essays.
- Writing activities help students write a beginning that grabs the reader's interest and introduces the opinion statement, middle paragraphs that present main reasons and supporting details, and an ending paragraph that calls the reader to act.
- Revising activities help students improve their appeals to readers' needs, get rid of logical fallacies, and use a peer response to improve their work.
- Editing activities help students ensure pronoun-antecedent agreement and subject-verb agreement and use a checklist to improve their writing.
- Publishing activities help students create a clean final copy of their work and reflect on their advertisement essays.