Writing Process Essays leads your students step by step through creating a how-to essay. Instructions, activities, examples, videos, interactives, and downloads help students gain new writing strategies and skills. You can also present this unit right from your interactive whiteboard.
First students read about process writing and watch an introductory video (see below). Then they read a sample process paragraph and essay and write in response to them. Afterward, they start to write their own process essays:
- Prewriting activities help students select a topic, find a focus, and gather details to support the focus.
- Writing activities help students write a beginning that grabs the reader's interest and introduces the topic, middle paragraphs that lay out the materials and steps the reader should follow, and an ending paragraph that wraps up the essay.
- Revising activities help students elaborate details, add headings, and create an interesting title.
- Editing activities help students form command sentences and select the right word. Videos help to explain some of the finer points of editing.
- Publishing and reflecting activities help students create a clean final copy of their work and lock down their new learning.