Request a Review Copy
If you are a teacher or administrator and would like to review this program for use in your classroom or school, please complete this form.
A Handbook for Young Writers, Thinkers, and Learners
The new Writers Express is the perfect resource to help 4th and 5th grade students become better writers, readers, test takers, and learners. It overflows with writing guidelines, models, checklists, tips, and much more. The handbook has four major sections.
- The Process of Writing answers questions about writing, from selecting a topic to proofreading a final draft.
- The Forms of Writing section contains help for writing essays, reports, stories, poems, and many other documents.
- The Tools of Learning section helps students effectively study, read, listen, speak, and take tests.
- The Proofreader’s Guide provides rules and examples for punctuation, capitalization, spelling, grammar, and much more.
A free online Writers Express Teacher's Guide walks you through the student handbook, giving advice for using each page in your classroom. You'll also find free document downloads, related minilessons, additional student models, additional writing topics, videos, and more. And the Teacher's Guide correlates every page to the Common Core State Standards, connecting you to even more resources.
To see how these components work together, download the Program Overview, which includes a 4-step process for getting started.
How do I use Writers Express in my classroom?
Writers Express . . .
- connects with students using colorful art and an encouraging voice.
- leads students step-by-step through the writing process: prewriting, writing, revising, editing, and publishing.
- helps students write better sentences, paragraphs, and essays.
- models writing for different purposes: personal, narrative, explanatory, persuasive (argument), literary, research, imaginative, and assessment.
- includes dozens of high-interest student models of writing.
- supports student writers in all classes across the curriculum.
- helps students improve learning: reading, spelling, speaking, viewing, listening, thinking, studying, collaborating, taking tests, and using technology.
- guides students when editing for punctuation, mechanics, spelling, usage, sentences, and grammar.
What Teachers Are Saying
“I’m very impressed with your new handbook. It’s a pleasure and a delight to find a book written especially for students!”
—Green Acres School
“I find your materials exceedingly efficient and effective. We love the humor and illustrations—and especially having everything in one place for a quick reference.”
—Base Line School
“I am a teacher of students in grades 4–5, and all of my students love your handbook. When I asked them why, they said, ‘It’s colorful, easy to use, and full of great stuff .’”