Request a Review Copy
If you are a teacher or administrator and would like to review this program for use in your classroom or school, please complete this form.
A Student Handbook for 21st Century Learning
Inquire Middle School Student Handbook (Grades 6-8) is a complete learning guide covering 21st century skills, traditional study skills, the inquiry process, and project-based instruction. This handbook works across the curriculum to deepen students' thinking in science, social studies, math, and language arts.
Also, check out the Teacher's Guide to the Inquire Student Handbook. For free downloadable templates, additional models, and links to great sites, check out the handbook additional resources and the teacher's guide additional resources.
The Inquire student handbook has three main parts:
Part I: Building 21st Century Skills
- Overview of 21st Century Skills
- Critical Thinking, Creative Thinking, Problem Solving, Communicating, Collaborating, and Building Arguments
- Understanding Media, Using Social Media, Reading to Learn, Improving Vocabulary, and Following Basic Conventions
- Improving Study Skills, Succeeding in School, and Succeeding in the Workplace
Part II: Using the Inquiry Process
- Learning About the Inquiry Process
- Questioning and Planning
- Conducting Basic and Advanced Research
- Creating, Improving, and Presenting
Part III: Developing Projects
- Basic and Advanced Writing Projects
- Graphing, Web, Audio-Visual, and Design Projects
- Performing and Community Projects
Inquire helps students . . .
- build 21st century skills such as critical and creative thinking, problem solving, communicating, and collaborating;
- improve information and media literacy by using the library and Internet, reading to learn, taking notes, evaluating media messages, finding reliable Web sites, using primary sources, documenting sources, and avoiding plagiarism;
- develop inquiry skills such as questioning, planning, researching, creating, improving, and presenting; and
- create amazing projects, from writing and graphic projects to design and community projects.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“An excellent book in preparing both young and life-long learners with the tools they need to thrive in the 21st Century. Teams like those at Thoughtful Learning are the cutting edge, the pioneers, of what education needs in today's' world. A wonderful textbook. A visionary team of people who go out and make it happen.”
"I am a literacy professor and a big fan of Thoughtful Learning resources. In the courses I teach for in-service and pre-service teachers, I often share Thoughtful Learning resources for teaching writing and inquiry-based instruction. It's important for teachers to see quality resources that encourage deeper thought and promote learning in interactive and meaningful ways."
—Dr. Beth Dobler
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“Learn skills that are real. Inquire changed my perspective on education.”