Writing Short Reports helps your students gain the reading and writing skills they need to write reports based on a little research. Students receive step-by-step guidance to create their own short reports. Instructions, activities, examples, videos, interactives, and downloads help students gain new writing strategies and skills. You can also present this unit right from your interactive whiteboard.
First students warm up by freewriting about a favorite holiday, exploring what they know about it. Then they read a sample short report about a holiday. After responding to the reading, students are ready to write their own short reports:
- Prewriting activities help students select a holiday to write about, find a focus, and conduct basic research about their holiday.
- Writing activities help students write a beginning that grabs the reader's interest and gives a focus statement about the holiday, middle paragraphs that support the focus with a variety of details, and an ending paragraph that thoughtfully wraps up the short report.
- Revising activities help students place details in the best order and use a checklist to improve their writing.
- Editing activities help students use a checklist to make their short reports error free.
- Publishing activities help students create a clean final copy of their reports and reflect on their report writing.