Request a Review Copy
If you are a teacher or administrator and would like to review this program for use in your classroom or school, please complete this form.
A Student Handbook Preparing Writers for College and Career
Write for College is the perfect handbook to help students write, read, study, speak, and learn in high school, college, and the workplace. The handbook helps them develop the writing rigor that colleges expect in argument essays, research reports, entrance essays, and much more. Students read dozens of high-interest models and use guidelines and checklists to create their own writing. They also learn strategies for testing well on Advanced Placement exams, college-entrance exams, and other high-stakes assessments.
- The Process of Writing teaches specific strategies for prewriting, writing, revising, editing, and publishing.
- The Forms of Writing include guidelines, models, and checklists for every type of writing: personal, narrative, explanatory, argument, literary, creative, and research.
- The Tools of Learning help students read, study, collaborate, and test for success in high school and beyond.
- The Proofreader’s Guide teaches punctuation, mechanics, spelling, usage, grammar, and sentence rules.
- The Student Almanac provides fascinating facts for language, science, math, and social studies courses.
Write for College . . .
- covers all of the 11th and 12th grade Common Core English/Language Arts standards for writing, reading, speaking and listening, language, and literacy across the curriculum.
- leads students step-by-step through the writing process: prewriting, writing, revising, editing, and publishing.
- helps students write better sentences, paragraphs, and essays.
- teaches rigorous research skills with guidelines and models for Modern Language Association (MLA 8) and American Psychological Association (APA 6) documentation styles.
- supports student writers in all classes across the curriculum.
- helps students improve learning: reading nonfiction and literature, visual literacy, speaking and listening, studying, and taking tests.
- guides students when editing for punctuation, mechanics, spelling, usage, sentences, and grammar.
A free online teacher's guide provides teaching suggestions, models, minilessons, topic ideas, digital downloads, and much more. It also correlates every page of Write for College to the Common Core State Standards.
To see how these components work together, download the Program Overview, which includes a 3-step process for getting started.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“This is the best manual of writing I've ever seen. The format is appealing to the eye; the explanations are concise, to the point, and clear. I consider this book a MUST for anyone interested in polishing his/her writing techniques.”
“You can find answers that are difficult to get in a classroom. . . . This book has become my best friend ever!”
—Alexei V. Lopez Enriquez
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“I ordered this book after I made a 75 on an APA style paper due to wrong resources off of the internet. I was able to redo my paper and made a 95 on it because of this book giving me the right guidelines. I skimmed through the rest of the book, and I am able to tell you that I will definitely use this book for the rest of my life to write a lot of different things. I highly recommend this book for anybody from middle school, high school, college, and even beyond in the different fields of work.”
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“I have used this recently for tutoring a beginning college student in writing essays. . . . This was easily the best guide that she had ever seen. As a tutor I find that it helps me address all sorts of issues that are not touched in many of the standard writing textbooks. . . . ”
“I have always loved finding a book that has just the right information, lots of it that I can use and little that I can't—not a typical thing for most textbooks. This is one of the good ones—a great Swiss Army Knife for a tutor, and for a teacher.”
—Paul E. Tebbets
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“Hey, I'm way past college age, but when I went back to school and was told that all my papers had to be submitted in APA format, I was lost. American Pilots Association rules? It's actually the American Psychological Association rules. Anyway, all the different formats are available in this book. There are tons of examples. I know it works. When I go my Bachelor's Degree, I got A's all the time, and I wouldn't if the papers weren't formatted right. What you write is important, but if you put it in the wrong format, you're starting out in the hole. Give yourself an advantage and get this book now!”
“Update . . . Well I've gone back to Graduate School and had sold my book so I bought it again. That's the faith I have in this book.”
—Richard B. Lanoue