Practice Test for Reading and Writing gives your students sample test situations for close-reading and on-demand writing. These testing environments are based upon similar tasks on the assessments for the new standards. You can print this unit out for students to work with directly. You can also present this unit right from your interactive whiteboard.
Close-Reading Practice Assessments
Close-reading activities help students practice the following skills:
- Reading three informational articles about a common subject and answering questions about the controlling statements, supporting details, vocabulary, and visual elements
- Comparing the content of the three articles by matching factual statements to the articles that presented them
On-Demand Writing Strategies
On-demand writing activities help students practice these skills:
- Analyzing writing prompts to understand the purpose, audience, subject, and type of writing
- Writing a focus statement and listing supporting details to include in a response
- Writing a paragraph response to one writing prompt and an essay response to another prompt.
- Citing evidence from the three articles read previously
- Using a rubric to evaluate the written responses.