Writing Cause-Effect Essays leads your students step by step through developing an essay that explores why something happens and what occurs as a result. Instructions, activities, examples, videos, interactives, and downloads help students gain new writing strategies and skills. You can also present this unit right from your interactive whiteboard.
First students think about causes and effects using graphic organizers. Then they read a sample cause-effect paragraph and essay and write in response to them. Afterward, they start to write their own cause-effect essays:
- Prewriting activities help students select a topic that fits with your current course of study, find a focus, and gather details to support the focus.
- Writing activities help students write a beginning that grabs the reader's interest and introduces the topic, middle paragraphs that explore the causes and effects of the situation, and an ending paragraph that wraps up the essay.
- Revising activities help students create a greater depth of detail in their writing and improve their focus.
- Editing activities help students use commas after introductory words and correct usage errors in their writing.
- Publishing activities help students create a clean final copy of their work and reflect on their cause-effect writing.