Writing Research Papers guides your students step by step through the process of deeply exploring a topic and developing a research paper that fully explains that topic using the style of the Modern Language Association (MLA). Students select topics based on their interests or the focus of a given class. Then they research their topics in the library and online, gather key information, and assemble their research into an effective paper. Instructions, activities, examples, interactives, and downloads help students learn new skills for research writing. You can also present this unit right from your interactive whiteboard.
First students warm up by evaluating the reliability of different sources in their everyday lives. Then they read a sample research paper that focuses on the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. After responding to the sample research paper, students work step by step through the process of researching and writing their own papers.
- Prewriting activities help students select a topic, research the topic in the library and online, review sources for reliability, and gather and organize information from the sources.
- Writing activities help students write a beginning that grabs the reader's interest and provides the thesis for the research paper. The middle paragraphs develop main points that support the thesis, using evidence from sources and providing source citations. The ending paragraph thoughtfully wraps up the research paper, with a separate works-cited page.
- Revising activities help students elaborate on ideas using different types of evidence. Students also get a peer review and use a checklist to improve their research papers.
- Editing activities help students use correct documentation style and overall format for Modern Language Association (MLA) research papers. They also improve their punctuation, capitalization, spelling, usage, and grammar. An editing checklist guides students as they correct common errors.
- Publishing activities help students create a clean final copy of their research papers and reflect on what they have learned.