Setting and Reaching Goals
Successful athletes, business people, scientists, and performers set goals for themselves. Goals focus your attention just like a telescope. Goals guide your steps just like a GPS. This activity will help you set and reach an academic goal this week.
Your Turn Set an academic goal and plan to achieve it. Follow these instructions.
- Write down a goal for this week at school. For example, you might write "I will become a stronger reader" or "I will improve my grade in math."
- Under your goal, write an action you will take each day to make it happen. For example, you might write "I will do 30 minutes of independent reading at home every night" or "I will ask more questions in math."
- Write a second action you will take to reach your goal.
- Write a third action you will take to reach your goal.
- Post your goal in a place where you can see it each day.
- At the end of the week, ask yourself, "Did I reach my goal? Which actions did I take every day to reach it?"
Setting and Reaching Goals by Thoughtful Learning is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at k12.thoughtfullearning.com/minilesson/setting-and-reaching-goals.