Using Progressive Relaxation
When we are in stressful situations, our bodies tense up. Sometimes after a stressful situation, our bodies are still tense, which keeps the stress going rather than letting us get rid of it. You can release stress from your body using a simple technique called progressive relaxation. This activity shows you how.
Your Turn Try progressive relaxation. Follow these steps.
- Sit up straight with your feet resting flat on the floor.
- Curl your toes tightly and hold them that way for 7 seconds. Release them and take a deep breath.
- Tighten your legs and hold them that way for 7 seconds. Release them and take a deep breath.
- Tighten your stomach and abdomen for 7 seconds. Release and breathe.
- Tighten your hands, arms, and chest. Release and breathe.
- Tighten your shoulders and face. Release and breathe.
- Tighten your whole body. Release and breathe.
- Notice how you feel. (Your body should feel less tense.)
- Stand up and shake out your arms and legs.
Using Progressive Relaxation by Thoughtful Learning is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at k12.thoughtfullearning.com/minilesson/using-progressive-relaxation.