Request a Review Copy
If you are a teacher or administrator and would like to review this program for use in your classroom or school, please complete this form.
A Student Handbook for Writing and Learning
Write Ahead is the perfect handbook for freshman and sophomore writers, readers, test takers, and learners. They will read dozens of high-interest student models and use guidelines and checklists to create their own writing. Colorful pages and beautiful artwork engage students in these five major sections.
- The Process of Writing teaches specific strategies for prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing.
- The Forms of Writing include narrative, explanatory, argument, literary, and assessment writing, with guidelines and models.
- The Tools of Learning improve students' reading, studying, speaking, listening,and test-taking skills.
- The Proofreader’s Guide reviews all of the important rules of punctuation, capitalization, spelling, and grammar, with instruction to help English language learners.
- The Student Almanac equips students with fascinating facts for writing in English, science, social studies, and math!
Write Ahead . . .
- covers all of the 9th and 10th grade Common Core English/Language Arts standards for writing, reading, speaking and listening, language, and literacy across the curriculum.
- leads students step-by-step through the writing process: prewriting, writing, revising, editing, and publishing.
- helps students write better sentences, paragraphs, and essays.
- models writing for different purposes: personal, narrative, explanatory, persuasive (argument), literary, research, imaginative, and assessment.
- supports student writers in all classes across the curriculum.
- helps students improve learning: reading, spelling, speaking, viewing, listening, thinking, studying, collaborating, taking tests, and using technology.
- guides students when editing for punctuation, mechanics, spelling, usage, sentences, and grammar.
- connects with students using colorful art and an encouraging voice.
A free online teacher's guide provides teaching suggestions, models, minilessons, topic ideas, digital downloads, and much more. It correlate every page of Write Ahead to the Common Core State Standards.
To see how these components work together, download the Program Overview, which includes a 4-step process for getting started.
"I am a literacy professor and a big fan of Thoughtful Learning resources. In the courses I teach for in-service and pre-service teachers, I often share Thoughtful Learning resources for teaching writing and inquiry-based instruction. It's important for teachers to see quality resources that encourage deeper thought and promote learning in interactive and meaningful ways."
—Dr. Beth Dobler
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“Basically an updated version of Writer's INC, almost better; easy to understand and is more thorough than previous said book. Perfect for teen and adult students.”
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“My daughter had to have this for her high school English class.”
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“Not a high school student heading to college, but a grandmother wanting to brush up on writing skills. This book promises to be a great source.”