Request a Review Copy
If you are a teacher or administrator and would like to review this program for use in your classroom or school, please complete this form.
A Student Handbook for Writing and Learning
Write Ahead is the perfect handbook for freshman and sophomore writers, readers, test takers, and learners.They will read dozens of high-interest student models and use guidelines and checklists to create their own writing. Colorful pages and beautiful artwork engage students in these five major sections.
- The Process of Writing teaches specific strategies for prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing.
- The Forms of Writing include narrative, explanatory, argument, literary, and assessment writing, with guidelines and models.
- The Tools of Learning improve students' reading, studying, speaking, listening,and test-taking skills.
- The Proofreader’s Guide reviews all of the important rules of punctuation, capitalization, spelling, and grammar, with instruction to help English language learners.
- The Student Almanac equips students with fascinating facts for writing in English, science, social studies, and math!
Write Ahead . . .
- covers all of the 9th and 10th grade Common Core English/Language Arts standards for writing, reading, speaking and listening, language, and literacy across the curriculum.
- leads students step-by-step through the writing process: prewriting, writing, revising, editing, and publishing.
- helps students write better sentences, paragraphs, and essays.
- models writing for different purposes: personal, narrative, explanatory, persuasive (argument), literary, research, imaginative, and assessment.
- supports student writers in all classes across the curriculum.
- helps students improve learning: reading, spelling, speaking, viewing, listening, thinking, studying, collaborating, taking tests, and using technology.
- guides students when editing for punctuation, mechanics, spelling, usage, sentences, and grammar.
- connects with students using colorful art and an encouraging voice.
A free online teacher's guide provides teaching suggestions, models, minilessons, topic ideas, digital downloads, and much more. It correlate every page of Write Ahead to the Common Core State Standards.